The more variety in texture and flavour that you introduce early-on (as early as six months!), the more likely your child will grow to love a variety of foods and develop a wide palate. With this in mind, don’t be afraid to add things like garlic, ginger, herbs, and even small amounts of some mild spices (such as mild curry) to naturally season your baby’s food. But babies do not need a lot of added flavour, and they should not be having any added sodium (salt) or sugar–it’s important that they learn to love the natural flavours of foods, not to mention that their little kidneys aren’t equipped to handle these additives.
I’ve compiled 20 of our favourite baby-friendly finger foods that are great for the whole family. I hope you and your baby enjoy them as much as we have (and will again soon!).
1. 2 Ingredient Banana Pancakes
These are perfect when cut up into small pieces. Really quick to whip up and toddlers love them!
2. Watermelon Cubes
Sweet, delicious watermelon is the perfect finger food. It is easy to chew for those toddlers who don’t have many teeth yet. We have a really great method for cutting watermelon for you!
3. Mini egg muffins
These are the perfect protein filled finger food! To make:
- Whisk 6 eggs together with a bit of water, whole milk or breastmilk and add grated zucchini, grated carrot and grated cheese (amounts up to you).
- Fill greased mini muffin tin with the mixture and cook in a preheated oven (375F) for 20 minutes.
4. Cauliflower Tots
This is a perfect finger food for toddlers – once they have a bite, they will definitely be asking for more! They probably won’t even realize they are eating cauliflower!
4. Yummy Tuna Cakes
- Mix a can of flaked light tuna with an egg, 1 tsp of garlic powder, 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese, a couple of chopped mushrooms, 1/4 cup grated carrot and some panko bread crumbs in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add a teaspoon butter or olive oil to a large pan over medium heat.
- Form little “cakes” out of the tuna mixture and place gently in the heated pan.
- Flip when golden brown.
5. Toddler Friendly Turkey Meatballs
- Combine one pound of ground turkey with two eggs, one cup of grated veggies of choice, 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 tsp of garlic, and a bit of olive oil.
- Blend well with hands and then roll into small meatballs.
- Place on a lined baking sheet and bake at 400F for about 12 minutes or until internal temperature is 170F.
6. Sliced ripe pear
Pears are an excellent source of fibre, vitamin C and potassium, and they make for a great baby-friendly finger food! I leave the skin on because I find that my babies can more easily grasp onto it, but can definitely slice the skin off if you’d prefer.
7. Toddler Friendly Energy Bites
- Combine any natural nut or seed butter (about 1/2 cup) with 3/4 cup pulsed dates (soak dates in water first and then pulse in a food processor until they’re in soft small pieces), 2 tbsp chia seeds, and 2/3 cup rolled oats.
- As an option, you can add a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder too.
- Mix ingredients well and form into small balls.
- Place on a lined baking sheet and chill for 10 minutes before serving.
8. Peanut Butter and Banana Crackerwiches
Spread natural peanut butter on whole grain crackers (that are free of added salt and sugar) and top with sliced banana.
9. Fruit sushi
Combine plain natural full-fat greek yogurt with a bit of natural nut or seed butter and sprinkle with cinnamon. Spread this on top of a whole grain tortilla and top with soft fruits such as raspberries, banana slices or blueberries. Wrap as you would a sushi roll and cut into bite-size “sushi pieces” for your baby. Or we have a yummy recipe for apple sushi.
10. Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cups
These are packed with nutrient dense ingredients and are easy to grab and go!
- Combine 2 cups of rolled oats, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp baking powder, and a dash of salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl mix together 3 large ripe mashed bananas, 3 peeled and grated apples, 1 cup full fat plain yogurt, 2 tbsp butter, and 2 tsp vanilla.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together and transfer mixture to greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 375F until golden brown on top.